Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Take a look at this water buffalo post and video. Here we are seeing the kind of poverty that Junior describes on the reservation in Seattle. Can you imagine that a gift of $250 could make sure a difference in a family's life? This is their livelihood. I think it is hard for us to imagine a life where a gift of a water buffalo would be a life-changing experience. I think I was so affected by this video because I've been to China. The first time I went was during the SARS epidemic and the Chinese didn't have many foreign visitors. The money they counted on from tourists didn't materialize. Many of the Chinese people don't have much of anything, but they were kind and wonderful to a small group of teachers from Madison. You come away realizing how much we have and how much we take for granted. I came home grateful for space, for the ability to have pets, to have a place where I had room for myself. I was grateful for things I never would have known were things to be thankful for without interacting with the Chinese people who were so gracious.

No comments:

Post a Comment